Included in the updates were the policies 2220 Official School Spokesperson, 2325 Board Meeting News Coverage, 2330 Board Meeting Agenda, 2600 Consultants to the Board, 4150 School Assignment, 5022 Registered Sex Offenders, 6140 Student Wellness, 6306 School Bus Idling, and 7720 Employee Political Activities.
Although many of the changes were merely grammatical or updating the cross reference or legal references, several changes were notable.
In Policy 2220 Official School Spokesperson, the update establishes the board’s expectations of employees who are asked to comment on legislation, policy, or political issues in their official capacity in order to ensure a consistent message to the public.
In Policy 5022 Registered Sex Offender, the updates were in Section A to comply with statutory changes regarding individuals who are prohibited from being present on school system property, changing the age of the victim from under 16 to under 18.
Policy 6140 Student Wellness has many updates in order to reflect the regulations implementing the wellness policy requirements of the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, and changes to the State Board of Education’s Healthy Active Children policy. Significant updates to this policy include:
- The previous requirement to provide a copy of the policy to DPI each time it is revised has been eliminated.
- The areas of concern to be addressed by the School Health Advisory Council are revised to be consistent with SBE policy changes.
- A requirement to address nutrition standards for foods provided but not sold on school campuses is added.
- The standard for food and beverage marketing on school campuses has been expanded to comply with federal requirements.
- Annual reporting requirements have been revised.
- A subsection on triennial assessments is added that includes the deadline for the first assessment.
- The public notification requirements have been updated to require publication of the contact information for the lead wellness official.
- The record keeping requirements have been clarified and revised to track requirements established in the federal rule and in SBE policy.
Also notable is in Policy 7720 Employee Political Activities, the updates clarify employees’ responsibilities when engaging in personal political activities to avoid confusion by the public.
Reporter Sean Paul, FetchYourNews.com, FYNTV.com, LIVE Broadcasting on FYNTV.com Mon.- Fri. 8-10 a.m.
If you see news call 706-889-9700, To watch all of our videos, subscribe to our YouTube Channel – Fetch Your News.
Fetch Your News is a hyper local news outlet that covers Dawson, Lumpkin, White, Fannin, Gilmer, Pickens, Union, Towns and Murray counties as well as Cherokee County in N.C. If you would like to follow up-to-date local events in any of those counties, please visit us at FetchYourNews.com